1969 Chevy Camaro Z/28 RS - "Purplicious"

 I used to run a normal blog. Ran it for roughly 9 years until my account was compromised and it was deleted. Google was unable to recover it, so I lost many years of memories, thoughts and more.  I started a few more blogs after that but they fell by the wayside. I am hoping this one doesn't.

I decided to start this blog to capture my memories again. Mainly of my hobbies. Having recently decided to get back into model building, I figured this would be a good place to start.

After finishing the Yenko Nova, I happened to spot this kit at the local Michaels craft store. I also saw it at Hobby Lobby, but it was $8 cheaper at Michaels, which also allowed me to pick up some more paints for future kits. At first I was contemplating the color scheme when i saw a can of "Purplicious,' and knew that was the color.

I could not find a purple color in enamel paint at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels, so I decided that I would do a solid white interior.


This kit was a lot of fun to put together, despite the extra flashing that needed to be sanding and a lot of sanding required to get pieces to fit. I also tried the BFM (bare metal foil) for the first time in my life. It added an extra level of frustration, but overall, provides a better detail that a silver trim paint in my opinion. Though my first foil attempt is far from perfect, I am happy with it.


I did run into an issue with the paint as well. Oddly, after applying the second clear coat, it started to display the "orange peel" effect. I spent about an hour at the sink wet sanding it using some dish soap and 800 grit paper. After i let it dry overnight, i sprayed another coat of clear and it fixed the peel issue and looked great.


I spent a little extra time on both the engine and engine bay. Though there are no aftermarket parts or home made wire kits, it was the little things like the nuts and bolts, molded wiring that i spent the extra time on. 




In the end, the Camaro turned out well. Still ran into a slight fitting issue. The hood doesn't sit flush as it did during a pref-it phase. The decal sheet was lacking and there were no molded lights, so I hand painted those. Didn't turn out quite like I wanted, so I have filed this as still a WIP.









So now it sits on my mantle next to the Yenko and the 15 year old General Lee.