1969 Yenko Nova (Street Burner)

It's been 15 years or so, since I built my last model kit. Back in the late 80's, early 90's, my brother and I had built just about every modern NASCAR kit there was, along with a few others. We even went as far as taking his old slot car track and built our version of the Daytona speedway in the basement. We lined it with our cars, used empty cereal boxes to make the infield and grandstands. It was the true poor mans diorama. 

 15 years ago, I built the General. A long time fan of the Dukes of Hazzard,I had built this car when I was real young. Not sure what ever happened to it though. Not sure what made me buy it or even want to put it together, but it was a bit fun. Recently, I found that I needed a hobby that wouldn't break the bank. So I decided to get back into modeling. Things are a lot different now then decades ago.Especially the use of the internet to see tips and tricks and different builds. Who would have thought of using embossing powder to make carpet? Not I. When you live on the country as a kid, it's kind of hard to get out to cities to model shows. We would just pick up what was at the local Kmart or Ames stores. The prices of the kits have gone up as well. I've read a lot of explanations as to why, but certain stores seem to mark up the kits a lot more than others. 



 I figured my first kit in 15 years would be one of my "dream cars." Not necessarily a Yenko, but I have always had a thing for the Chevy Novas from 69-72.Not sure why, but I guess it might have something to do with my dad having a Nova II when I was little. Though the Nova seems to share some of the same body lines of the Chevelle, you would never really see a Nova at the car shows as a kid. But Chevelles were a dime a dozen. I am also Pittsburgh anything. Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, even lived there a few years for college. And knowing that Don Yenko started in Canonsburg, south of Pittsburgh, I think it kind of drew me to the Yenko name and the Yenko Nova. Especially the the Nova's with the sYc badging. 

I found a kit online and bought. My dream 69/70 Nova would be either black with white interior and rally stripes or white with black interior and rally stripes. But I opted for this kit to go with a bright red with a black and red interior. Since it's been so long since I built a kit, it took some time to remember and figure some things out. One thing I've always struggled with is body to frame fitting issues. And it's no different here. I still pay attention to some of the minor details, however I didn't go full bore with this like masking for two tone paint jobs, etc. I just wanted to get back into building again to see if I could still do it with my aging eyes, arthritis and waning patience. I am happy with how this turned out.



Ran into some issues while doing final assembly. Mainly, the rear frame sitting too deep into the body. I realized my eyes definitely need help and my arthritis gets in the way of fine touch painting.

Painted parts over the course of a few nights after work



Shouldn't have misted clear coat. Should have left flat.


Lost the Nova decals before clear coating





15 Years apart





I realized that I still like building these and they still pose a frustration level. But it's part of the ellure I guess.