'66 GT350H PT 1

Started this shortly after finishing the Panzer IV. However, early issues made it go back on the shelf until just recently. I've always liked the Shelby's and wouldn't mind owning a clone, as I'll never afford an original!




When I first started this, I got the body primed and painted in Createx Charcoal Metallic Gray. After letting it sit a couple of days for curing, I started with the decals. First thing I noticed was when I started applying the hood decals is that the decals were a lot thicker than normal. They didn't want to bend or conform to the bends in the hood. Even using MicroSol, they wouldn't soften enough and I believe the MicroSol was a bit too harsh for the Createx Acrylic. I started to notice spots where the the the paint came off and showed the primer.

I moved to the roof decals, same thing. The decals were a lot thicker than normal. When I slid them off the paper backing, they held stiff. Put them on anyway. Followed this by the trunk and bumpers. It was at this point that the decals were past my last nerve.

I tried peeling them off and figured I'd look into masking and painting them on. However, the decals now didn't want to come off. Started search the Tube, tried a few things, nada, no way, nuttin! So the kit went back into the box and sat on the shelf while I worked  on the Stug. Not to mention, the cat knocked the body off the table, knocking loose the door scoops. I was only able to locate one of them so I reached out to Revell for replacements.


Months later, getting back to this kit, I gave it a brake bath and stripped it down. Based on some other kit builds I saw online, I decided to give my hand at stripping the chrome and using the newly acquired AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Chrome. 

Stripped, washed and cleaned, I layed down the Mr. Surfacer primer. I proceeded to lay down a few light coats of the Createx Charcoal Metallic Gray. While that was set aside to dry, I proceeded to apply the new chrome to the now stripped and cleaned parts.

Something seemed off. I wasn't getting the shiny that I thought I should. I applied three light coats, but to my dismay, it looked like a flat silver. I set it aside, and laid down two more coats of gray to the body. Looking back at the flat silver wannabe chrome, I realized why. I put it over flat black primer instead of gloss primer. I may have a fix or two in my tool box.


After a few days of thinking about it, I broke out the chrome pen I have and put some into a lid. Thinned out with Testors thinner, I applied some wash coats to tall the parts. Now it was looking more like chrome but still with the underlying flat silver. Bigger problem was the bumpers. They will have to be restriped and redone. But the remaining parts were looking more realistic.


After a few days of letting the body sit to cure, I gave it a wet sane with 6k and 12k paper. This was followed up by five coats of Createx ULV Clear coat. Letting that sit for a few days to cure, I began the policing process. Again, starting with a wet sanding using the 6k and 12k paper, this was followed up with Meguiars Scratch X and Meguiar's spray and wipe polish.  Only thing left to do with the body is the chrome trim which will be foiled.






Started on the interior. Did some interwebz searching and most of it is all basic black on black. Though it's a classic, I wanted something a bit different and something that would contrast a bit with the body color.

I took Tamiya's flat black and sprayed over the Mr. Surfacer primer. The hands of gotten a bit worse as the year has gone on, but it didn't stop me from trying the trim in paint instead of foil.

Using Tamiya white for the seat trim, it wasn't working. Had issues with this white on the Bronco I did, I had to switch to the Vallejo white. A few coats and it seems okay. Could probably use another, but I'll leave it.

I used Vallejo's brown sand and light skin tone to make a light wood color for the steering wheel and wood grain around the gauges. Followed this up with a Vallejo red brown water wash on the steering wheel. Finished the chrome trim and used Tamiya's panel line access to fill in the gauges. I sealed it all with Vallejo's Satin Varnish.








I took the interior and set it into the body to see how well it looks. Not too bad. 






With the interior about 90% complete, I started on the engine. Started clipping pieces from the sprue to realize, there was only one head on there. Searched the box in case it got knocked off, nothing. Went back to the sprue tree, there are two numbers where the heads are supposed to be, but only one head. Looking closer at the tree, it doesn't look like the other head was ever molded onto the tree. 

I began scouring my parts boxes. I have extra Ford flat head heads. I have an entire Chevy large block complete motor but the heads are double the size of what I need.

Looking online, I reached out to others in the forums. I can pick up an entire motor for this kit off Ebay, but I'll be in the same boat. A full motor but only one head. So I filled out the form on Revells site. It'll take about a month or so to get here, so back in the box this goes.