Wife Wanted A Car - '56 Tbird

 Honestly, getting back into modeling has been fun. It has its moments, but it's a great escape from the rigors of work and the world. A co-worker is also a modeler so we've been talking a little outside of work on things. Being part of a FB group dedicated to modeling has helped. Learning new tricks, learning how to build better kits. Just wish a lot of this was around where I grew up. All we had we're Kmart and other stores that sold the kits, but no magazines, no hobby stores unless you traveled a few hours to one.

After watching me build the last few kits and seeing the struggles with the Plymouth, the wife wanted me to build her dream car. We found the car at the same site I have bought most of my stuff and she ordered it. I ordered the paints for it and another kit coming up.



I've been taking extra time with this one. More so I think because it's not mine. I decided with the issues I had with the Plymouth, couple of issues with the Camaro, I was going to stick with the same paint brand for 90% of the work. I bought the Tamiya fine white primer, along with their coral blue paint for the body and their clear coat. Everything else is being done with the standard Testors paints.

After priming it, laying the first coat of paint, i lightly wet sanded it with 12,000 grit paper. Was more for finding the spots and helping give it a good base for the next coat.  I did run into an issue with the hood bar, as it broke when taking it off the sprue tree. Nothing a bit of Tamiya quick glue can't fix.




As the body dried, I started on the motor and chassis. The hands aren't as steady as they used to be. And I mask where I can. But I couldn't get the tape to work on the chassis, so it was free handed. Not a lot of mistakes, but i can still see them.

Over a few days, few hours here and there, I got most of the motor done and the chassis & suspension built. The Suspension didn't want to sit right so I had to gator clip it into place until the glue dried. Even then, it still wanted to come off. So I switched to the Testors tube glue and re-clamped it. The tires were just as bad. The rims are quite a bit smaller that the cut holes. So it was extra glue to keep them attached to the back.








I did lose two decals though. One that went on the radiator hose and one just below the speedometer on the dash. The decal paper is so thick, they wouldn't attach. Not to mention, all of the decals don't seem to have enough adhesive. So i've decided to stop the build for right now until I can get some decal solution. Been looking at the Mark Setter & Softer as well as one that my coworker uses for his builds.

I pulled an executive decision though. I wasn't happy with the two tone blue that was to make up the interior. I have a bottle of Testors Flat Sky Blue, so i sat there with my head lamp for about an hour rotating the body pan looking at the angles and lines. Finally said to hell with it and started masking off the seats. After a few hours and two days, I had the flat white started and the sky blue laid out. Due to the design, I repainted the dash to match. So it's going to be a three tone interior. The coral blue on the seats and floor, flat white side panels with a sky blue trim. Still have another thin coat of white to do, then it should be done, except the decals.



With a quick body fit to check progress, this kit may turn out after all. Too bad it wasn't a real car, because I wouldn't mind going on a saturday night cruise in it.


One thing I noticed as i searched for this car and searched for other builds like it, not a lot of people chrome (either with BFM or paint) the rear wheel well. But seeing real cars with it and without it, it just wouldn't look right without the proper chrome. So I took some BFM and laid it on. And I will say, It does look better.