'63 Nova, Curbside

 Wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with this one. I picked it up at Ollies and figured what's the worse that can happen. Every October, I have a nephew over on weekends and we watch horror movies. So I decided to let him paint it with his never touching an airbrush before.





I also wanted to test out this opaque jet black I picked up from Createx, that I want to use on a van build. So when we got back to my house, we still had a few hours before it got dark. Had him wash the kit with dawn and mix the paint.

The paint was a bit thicker than the others, but we started out on a few spoons. Showed him how to hold the gun, how to spray it, etc.. The spoons turned out well, so we mixed up a bigger batch and let the fun begin.

I started the kit by doing the hard to get area, mainly the door jams and the forgotten sections around the front and rear panels. Handed him the gun and let him go.

The paint is a little forgiving. He had an issue with starting the spray on the model and finishing on the model instead of before and after. No big deal. With it finished, we let it set for a few hours while we ate dinner. At this point, we needed to do a little wet sanding. There were some spots he went a little too hard, but we could fix it.

Took it back to the booth and sprayed the inside cab and put another coat on the outside. The it's a deep black, it almost has a flatness to it. But a clear coat over the spoons showed how deep the paint really is.  We finished off the chassis and motor plate then went and watched movies. 

This morning while he slept, I masked it off and sprayed the Lime Green Pearl for the two tone. Will let it dry and do some minor touch ups. SInce he has to be home early today, I'll finish it up and see what can become of this.

I really enjoy the feel of this kit. With it being a curbside kit, the plastic is thicker, has a hefty weight to it. We'll have to see how it turns out.

I may buy him the Christine car, since that's the movie he picked out for last night.